Aircraft Maintenance Forums

Go Back   Aircraft Maintenance Forums > Tech & Ops > Tools & Test Equipment

Old 12-26-2009, 12:09   #1
Merdock26001

Used Aircraft Tools

It seems that from small to large aircraft the rivet gun is the most expensive and hard to find used. Dose anyone know where to find em' at?
Merdock26001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 16:18   #2
sheetmetalshane
Yeah, I can fix it

Check E-Bay. Type in a sellers name z50com he's out of southern california hes got a lot of tools. Lot's of other sellers there as well. just have to play the bidding game.

There are several companies that have catalogs. They give them out for free. A good used tool store is "The Yard" they deal the most in used tools cheap. I think their address is theyardstore.com

I like places like brown tools, U.S. Industrial, U.S. Tools. All have free catalogs.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2009, 19:12   #3
MikeH

I get most of my stuff from either The Yard or Brown Tool.
I have also used Aircraft Tool Supply company and USATCO.
Klassic Tool Crib is also starting to become popular for aviation tools.

You should be able to get free catalogs sent to you from any of these places or go to thier websites and download a current copy.

(My biggest expense was getting my Cherrymax gun and pulling heads) Not very cheap.
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 16:22   #4
sheetmetalshane
Yeah, I can fix it

Yeah they're very expensive.

Does your company give you any tool allowance? I get about $30 a paycheck for tools. And a revolving account of $500 with no interest. The payback is $50 a paycheck if i use the plan. So I'm paying half price for tools. Awesome program.
Old 01-01-2010, 17:05   #5
wanderer
You want it when???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetmetalshane View Post
Yeah they're very expensive.

Does your company give you any tool allowance? I get about $30 a paycheck for tools. And a revolving account of $500 with no interest. The payback is $50 a paycheck if i use the plan. So I'm paying half price for tools. Awesome program.
Whoa, that really is a great deal and excellent incentive to add to the tool collection. I always thought that the mechanic should receive some compensation for buying/maintaining his own tools. But few employers share that sentiment...
wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:03   #6
MikeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetmetalshane View Post

Does your company give you any tool allowance?
Tool allowance--that would be a novel idea. We do not get a tool allowance.

You must be in with one of the lucky select few employers who actually provide one.
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 19:29   #7
sheetmetalshane
Yeah, I can fix it

Skywest

Yeah I'm lucky, they say they have over $700 mill. in the bank cash reserve. And just gave United a $300 mill. loan.

The tool allowance even works with Harbor Freight, and other local tool companies (Grainger, McMasters), As well as catalog orders, and tool trucks. I even found a place online to buy some special hi-loc tools, they just called and set the account up, and my tools arrived about a week later. But cant do E-Bay though, Oh well.
Old 06-01-2012, 19:34   #8
jrodgers9001

Jim Rodgers

If your are still intrested in used structural tools I have what you need, Ive spend 24 years in airframe structural repairs and I am out of the bussiness now and looking to unload a whole lot of tooling. Let me know if your intrested and leave your phone contact info on my email and Ill give you a call to discuss what Ive got ...
jrodgers9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:29   #9
steve

hi, im fairly new to aviation fieldso i wanted to get a few opinions . im looking to start building my own tool box, what are...in order of quality,,, some better name brands of air tools..... drills, rivet guns,, 90 deg drills and things...... mostly sheet metal tools is what im looking for. thanks
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:29   #10
AMT Central
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
hi, im fairly new to aviation fieldso i wanted to get a few opinions . im looking to start building my own tool box, what are...in order of quality,,, some better name brands of air tools..... drills, rivet guns,, 90 deg drills and things...... mostly sheet metal tools is what im looking for. thanks
You'd probably be better off starting a new thread on this subject to get more responses.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:49   #11
jrodgers9001

If your looking for sheet metal tools please call me at 281-732-3349, Ive got 28 yrs worth and they need a good home, Im done pounding rivets...
jrodgers9001 is offline   Reply With Quote