Aircraft Maintenance Forums

Go Back   Aircraft Maintenance Forums > Aircraft Maintenance > Corporate & General Aviation

Old 02-19-2013, 03:07   #1
RankoA

Cessna 310-D fuel pressure problem

Hello to all!
I have strange problem with one of IO-470D installed on Cessna 310D, All fuel Delivery and Metering components has been replaced with overhauled and new units. And all has been adjusted in accordance to TCM service manual…This is what is happening: After initial engine start and worming up If throttle is fully advanced Fuel pressure will rapidly increase out of the range and engine will experience loos of power due to excessively reach Mixture. In other hand if I rapidly bring throttle back and advanced again it will developed full power… this Phenomena is happening occasionally not always, Just to let you knows I did replaced Fuel Pump with new unit and it does a same thing…
Any Suggestion is welcome! Thanks in advance!
RankoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:20   #2
Turboshaft

Sounds to me like you need to hook up the fuel metering gauges and to see what your fuel flow and pressure is. Does this engine have a aneroid on it? If so I have noticed on a IO-550 I was working the fuel mixture would become very rich at altitude but would run perfect on the ground. Check your rigging on your mixture and throttle. Hope this helps.
Turboshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:00   #3
RankoA

Thanks for Input, I did have fuel metering gauges connected and all is adjusted in range where it should be. In past I work on multiple IO-470 and I have replaced X amount of pumps before but I have newer experienced this kind of behavior!
Old 02-20-2013, 22:56   #4
ccgypsyblood

I dont have direct experience with the 470, but have years on continental 550 and 360 IO and TSIO. Being a intermittent problem that was not sovled or changed by the replacement of the fuel pump, here's my line of thinking:

High fuel pressure means there is either more fuel coming from the pump (already changed) or there is a down stream obstruction. Pull the injectors and check for debris, clean and reinstall.

you can also check the screen in the flow divider, I'm not thinking this is likely but it's a outside chance.

I have had small debris intermittenally clog injectors causing fuel starvation on that cylinder and over rich conditions on the other cylinders.

Good luck and let us know what you find

Ref: Fuel setup:
http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SID97-3E.pdf

Edit: I was just thinking, the cockpit indication of fuel pressure will be from the metered portion of the fuel system (downstream of the throttle body) so you may want to check the metereing assembly for scoring or debris also.

Last edited by ccgypsyblood; 02-20-2013 at 23:05. Reason: grammer & content
ccgypsyblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:47   #5
RankoA

Thanks for replay,
Metering Assembly is freshly OH, I will check Injectors and flow divider! I Will defenitly let you know what is outcome!