Aircraft Maintenance Forums

Go Back   Aircraft Maintenance Forums > Aircraft Maintenance > Military

Old 07-03-2011, 01:10   #1
JWatson

C-130 Maintenace Questions

Hey guys!

I just landed (Pun Intended) a Job where I will be Doing PDM on C-130's. I was just curious how C-130's are to work on? Compared to Bizjets?

I worked most of My Career on on Bizjets and King Air's, and I was a Heavy Structure's Mechanic on KC-135's, So I have a bit of Heavy Experience, but never Systems/ Electrical/ Line work on the Heavies?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Jarrett
JWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:14   #2
aogdesk
Super Moderator

Greetings Jarrett,

Sorry I can't help you, I know nothing about the mighty Herc...except that they're tanks.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:38   #3
AMT Central
Administrator

Its a pig.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24   #4
JWatson

AMT Central,

So you are saying that I am going to be hating life in a month or so?

Haha!
Old 07-03-2011, 17:06   #5
Klbrooks123
Not Politically Correct

Am new to this forum, but was Dir. Maint. for Southern Air Transport in the late 70's. We operated three at that time.

Found the aircraft very reliable and better to work on than most Commercial aircraft. Back then there were cracking problems with the wings, these have been overcome with structural mods etc. and there are AD notes out for them also.

Doing line maintenance is different than the heavy maintenance checks done in the hanger. Be sure to get yourself training on the systems. Engines, props, flight controls etc.. Know what you do not know and live with the maintenance manual in your hands. When in doubt get quidance from someone that knows.

Enjoy and good luck.
Klbrooks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37   #6
JWatson

KLBrooks,

Thanks for the Info. I start July 5th, so I am getting anxious for sure!

I have Open Mind and Open ears.

Again, thanks for your input.

J
Old 07-04-2011, 12:02   #7
Klbrooks123
Not Politically Correct

Be sure to find yourself a grey haired mentor that knows the aircraft. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2011, 15:23   #8
AMT Central
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatson View Post
AMT Central,

So you are saying that I am going to be hating life in a month or so?

Haha!
You may.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:00   #9
JWatson

Ohhh....... Bummer.

Well the First day was good! A lot of reading, but other than that, good first day!

We shall see how then next few weeks are.

J
Old 07-10-2011, 18:02   #10
JWatson

Well... Its been the first week and things are going pretty smooth. We are working 12 Hour Days, but I totally agree, that is the closest thing to a PIG that I have ever seen!

We are in the Structure Phase of the PDM, but I must say, It for sure Is the ugliest plane I have worked on, only followed closely by the Shorts SC-7. That little guy was pretty ugly too.

It of course is really different than the 135, but Planes are planes, and I reading and soaking up as much info as I can.

Thanks Again guys!

Jarrett
Old 07-10-2011, 19:21   #11
Klbrooks123
Not Politically Correct

If you want good streamlined looks go to Playboy.
Old 07-11-2011, 15:08   #12
AMT Central
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatson View Post
Well... Its been the first week and things are going pretty smooth. We are working 12 Hour Days, but I totally agree, that is the closest thing to a PIG that I have ever seen!

We are in the Structure Phase of the PDM, but I must say, It for sure Is the ugliest plane I have worked on, only followed closely by the Shorts SC-7. That little guy was pretty ugly too.

It of course is really different than the 135, but Planes are planes, and I reading and soaking up as much info as I can.

Thanks Again guys!

Jarrett
What model(s) are you working on? I've for the C-130E, WC-130, and C-130J models briefly. Even the new J's coming off the line seemed to have reliability issues right out of the gate.
Old 07-12-2011, 14:15   #13
ccgypsyblood

The C130 is a great plane, if you want the one thing still flying and supported that's been there and done that, it's the only airframe for you. I worked on L382's for Sourthern Air at the start of my aviation career, and as the FNG mech's helper who do you think was up in the gear well after every flight cleaning the jackscrews? like everything it's got it's upsides (I have never been in a better designed cockpit) and it's downsides (access to the hellhole between the fuel cells suxxs to say the least) but it's truely a living legend of aviation.

C.c.

P.s. the guys over at www.herkybirds.com are full of info on both ops and mx
ccgypsyblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 16:59   #14
Klbrooks123
Not Politically Correct

Amen. When were you with Southern Air?
Old 07-12-2011, 19:31   #15
ccgypsyblood

Re: Klbrooks123
After the glory days, but while there was still a snail on the tail. I worked at anchorage from 96 till the barkrupcy in 98, we had two birds based there (the tail numbers slip my mind) for the bush run and on oil spill standby (and a 747 thru-flight).
Aviation's a small world, I now work with some of the old SAT pilot's from the Nicaragua times. Those are the guys with stories that will stand your hair on end.

P.s. I was at Bakers school of aeronautics last month, and saw this on their wall of stickers, I've still got a couple of those bumper stickers stuffed in a drawer at home myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA Herc Sticker.JPG (51.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by ccgypsyblood; 07-12-2011 at 19:36.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25   #16
Klbrooks123
Not Politically Correct

I ran maintenance for them in the mid seventies. Howard Hinton was V.P. at the time. I remember Nicaragua.
Old 07-13-2011, 21:13   #17
ccgypsyblood

*Thread-Jack Warning*
I'll bet you have some stories to tell, still flying DC6's or C46's back then? there's no engine in the world like a R2800 for making avgas into airplane noise. I would have loved to have spent some time with them in Africa or South America...
Old 07-14-2011, 00:16   #18
10man

Never worked radials, but love the music they make. The big ones sound like royalty when the taxi past....purrfectly regal.
10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 16:58   #19
Klbrooks123
Not Politically Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgypsyblood View Post
*Thread-Jack Warning*
I'll bet you have some stories to tell, still flying DC6's or C46's back then? there's no engine in the world like a R2800 for making avgas into airplane noise. I would have loved to have spent some time with them in Africa or South America...
The round engine aircraft were like a beautiful girl that has died of old age. You remember all the sounds she made as well as the smell. then you just sigh.
Old 07-14-2011, 20:12   #20
ccgypsyblood

I count myself as lucky to have worked on DC-6's up in alaska for Northern Air Cargo, around the shop we just called her "The Legend", we had a full engine shop, prop shop and all the load sets for the autopilot setup upstairs in the avionics shop. There's a lost art to aviation that is represented by the 40's and 50's that we will never get back. of course, then I think about all those nights changing a #9 jug with oil raining down the neck of carharts, or the supercharger spraying skydrol in my face, or any number of other things that made me curse Donald Douglas when it happened, but I wouldnt trade that experience for anything.